Skip to main content

What does depression actually feel like?

I woke up this morning (Sunday 7th March) feeling well rested and happy, about a 2.5 on the depressedometer. Yet here I am some eight hours later having about an hour or so ago, slipped rapidly to a seven. I don’t know what triggered it, I seldom do, but the moment I felt the cloud descend, I knew I was in trouble.

The symptom most prevalent today is my inability to physically speak without feeling even worse than I already do. It’s strange that I can eloquently string a sentence together in my head but uttering words seems almost impossible. I can’t quite describe it, but I feel like a balloon filled with water, once the water starts leaking (in my case, the words) what follows will be totally out of my control. Actually, that’s a much better way of summing this up, not speaking is currently my only form of control in a state of depression that is otherwise un-controllable.

My urge to write this post is, I think, a response to the need I have to ‘spill’ but in a controlled and thoughtful way. The fact that it has taken me about twenty minutes to get these words on the page suggests that this entry could take quite some time.

When a depressive episode hits, the experience is quite unlike anything else I can think of.  It can ambush me out of nowhere inside of 30 minutes, or it can take a run up of two or three days. But outside of the timeframe, the process is much the same every single time.

It starts with a metallic or lead-like taste in the mouth which sticks to my pallet like glue, however I try to shift it with strong food and tangy drinks, there is no shaking this disgusting smack. Then I see it: a thick, gloopy, dark green waterfall-type image that runs in slow motion out of the corner of my left eye. This is, to me, what depression looks like. “Oh, please will you just fuck off” I say it to it, “Just fuck off and leave me alone, just for today”.

Needless to say, it doesn’t oblige and over a period of time (which can vary), slowly edges its way towards me getting closer and closer, haunting me, laughing at me. The knot in my stomach keeps growing, because I know what’s approaching and I am powerless to stop it. Despite my attempts to stave it off, the inevitable cannot be avoided “Go on then, just get it over with”  I submit, and that green sludge becomes like a thin cloud of smoke with a dark and gravelly smile which envelopes my body, subsequently seeping into my pores and taking control of my entire being, still smiling as it does so.

Once it has immersed itself in every part of my existence, it begins to weigh me down. Just lifting my head and limbs is a struggle. It whirls around my stomach like a washing machine creating a sea-sickness style of nausea, and it knocks around in my head until I’m throbbing from the temples up. Daylight hurts, daylight also highlights the imperfections in my house and on my body which the cloud is so keen to point out. The powerlessness leads me to frustration, the frustration leads me to tears. I’ll avoid talking to Holly as best I can, I can’t avoid work, I have to summon up the energy somehow but I will definitely try to shift some appointments so I can circumvent people as much as possible. Where necessity forces me to have a conversation, it will be quick and I will spend the thirty minutes succeeding it, flaked out in my chair or on the floor, recovering.

My sense of worth gets swallowed up in this process and I immediately start to recall incidents from the past which have caused me guilt or embarrassment. Like the time I over-indulged on Boddington’s ale at a friend’s New Year’s Eve party, stripped off all my clothes, and projectile vomited in almost every room in the downstairs of his home. Or when I told my daughter off for not remembering her manners, a normal thing for a parent to do, but in my depression-based retrospective analysis, it is conclusive evidence that I am the worst parent on the planet. Instances which are irrelevant, commonplace and forgotten by almost everyone but me, are front and center of my conscious, which is presenting them as affirmation of my newfound status as a worthless, meaningless human being.

“You’re going to lose everything, Jake, and I’m going to be the one to take it away from you” is the promise made to me by the big green blob. I believe it, I will lose everything, and it is probably best that I die before that happens. I think about the impact my death will have on those around me: Holly will be sad, but it will get easier for her with time when she realises the benefits of not having to put up with me anymore, before long she will meet somebody else who will help her get over me. My death in service package from work will give her the financial support she would need to pay the mortgage and have a comfortable life.

My daughter? She has her Mum and loving grandparents; Holly will retain a relationship with her and still see her on weekends. I’m not a religious person, but we could tell her Daddy was asked to go to heaven to help others up there as God needs a deputy, and I could write her letters for special occasions, such as her 18th birthday and her wedding.

I plan my funeral; my best mate Paul will do a reading as would some close friends from my professional and footballing circles. I would insist no ties, everyone should be casual, and we’d play Real Gone Kid by Deacon Blue. I’d be clear in my instructions that it should be celebration, not a commiseration and we could plan it so it gives everybody sufficient closure which would help them avoid a drawn out and painful grieving process.

It engulfs me and not only does it convince me that I and others around me would be better off if I was dead, it pushes me to practically consider how I could make it happen in a sensible and well-managed way, so as to limit the impact on those I would leave behind.

Afterword

I wrote this on Sunday and on reflection, I think its purpose was to share with everybody the actual process of depression. To share how I was feeling at the time so readers can get a sense of the journey one goes on at the start of a depressive episode.

It is a little disjointed, but it is real. I did consider avoiding publishing this one altogether because of its slight lack of cohesion but decided that it is more likely to help than hinder. I came out of the depression late on Sunday evening and into something of a mania on Monday hence waiting until now to publish (my mood is currently well-balanced).

I was also concerned that talk of planning one’s death and funeral, as well as the accompanying analysis of ‘life after me’, might alarm some. It shouldn’t, this is a common part of the process for me and I am (with the help of medication, therapy and methods developed from experience) well-equipped to manage it. Most depressives I have spoken to share a similar pattern of events.

I hope this fairly raw entry is useful and as always, welcome feedback and questions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Depressive Leader.

I don’t know precisely how I generate the energy to work on the days I am depressed, never mind fulfil entirely my role as a senior leader, whilst meeting the needs of my employer, my team and my customer, but somehow, I do. An old friend and former colleague who is a HR professional and has a sound understanding of business psychology, suggested I write an entry which explores what it is like to be a depressive at work. A brilliant idea, I thought, but I’ve found myself really struggling to articulate what it is actually like and I’ve reached the conclusion that this is because my depression has played a key role in the career success I have enjoyed. I am not ashamed to admit that the majority of career opportunities awarded to me have been as a result of both dumb luck and being in the right place, at the right time. Depression has also contributed enormously to the person (in a professional capacity) I am today. The stigma associated with ill-mental health often drives employers

Today I am a 4.

It is a common misconception that those of us who suffer with depression, experience it as if it were a cold or a headache, like an ailment that will at some point just ‘pass’ with the help of some Night Nurse and a hot water bottle, or in the case of mental illness, anti-depressants. The reality is though, depressives are always depressed, and the ‘condition’ never actually disappears, it is simply that the severity of the symptoms fluctuate constantly depending on several external factors and the sufferer’s ability to manage them. Each day, I measure the severity of my depression using a basic ‘one to ten’ scale (a tip I got from Alastair Campbell, former Downing Street Communications Director and avid mental health campaigner), the pinch points in my scale help me to establish how I am feeling and the steps I need to take in order to manage my mood at that point. For the purposes of explanation, I call this depressedometer (a little grim I know): 1 – Absolute contentment. 2

The breakdown.

  I have, on countless occasions, denied that what happened to me in early 2018 was a breakdown but that is exactly what is was. I’ve had several requests from friends and acquaintances asking me to share the specifics that both led to and were part of my 2018 crisis point. They tell me this will help them understand how depression can manifest itself when ignored and the warning signs that are associated. For the most part I believe them, though I can’t help but feel some simply see it as a ‘juicy read’ and I’m OK with that, because if a desire for something as such, results in them reading material which is likely to help them and others around them, who cares what their motivations, it is the means and the end result which matter. I’ll start at the beginning (whilst perpetually reminding myself of the need to exercise brevity). For as long as I can remember, I’ve always felt like I’m just not as good as everyone else and I cannot think of a entire week when I have not, at some poi